Background: Family Harvest Farm, a program of John Muir Land Trust, is a workforce development program for transition age foster youth (18-24 years old). Family Harvest Farm employs and trains transition age foster youth in regenerative agriculture in a supportive employment setting; the farm is in Pittsburg, CA. Family Harvest Farm helps John Muir Land Trust attain our vision of ensuring that the beauty, diversity, and fullness of our natural areas continue to enrich and sustain all generations of life.
Job Description: The Workforce Development Contractor is responsible for developing youths’ transferable employment skills and supporting a youth centered, strengths-based job training program that upholds trauma informed principals, teaches regenerative farming practices, and builds career and life skills that can be applied in future employment, education, and community settings.
- Position: Workforce Development Contractor, Family Harvest Farm
- Employer: John Muir Land Trust
- Program: Family Harvest Farm
- Status: Temporary Part-Time (25 hours/week)
- Start Date: June 1, 2023-Feb 1, 2024 (8 months)
- Compensation: $39/hour (base rate)
- Location: Your work will be performed at the Farm, 1300 Power Avenue, Pittsburg, CA, and remotely.
- Work Hours: Monday through Friday / some evenings & weekends when needed
- Benefits: 24 hours sick leave
- Reporting to: Associate Director, Family Harvest Farm
- Provide job coaching and career counseling to support the professional and personal development of apprentices who are referred by local youth service organizations.
- Support recruitment and onboarding of program participants through collaboration with partner
- Work with apprentices to develop and monitor employment/education and wellness
- Complete intake assessments and meet with apprentices bi-weekly; maintain accurate
- Prepare apprentices for promotion to next employment and education opportunities including resume support, interview preparation, and working with partnering agencies.
- Participate in quarterly apprentice performance evaluations with Farm Manager to monitor skill
- Provide consultation to Farm Manager on behavior management and trauma-informed
- Partner with Farm Manager to plan and facilitate weekly crew meetings to build apprentice
- Monitor apprentice goal attainment and benchmarks in collaboration with Associate
- Participate in weekly FHF planning meetings and JMLT staff
- Participate in daily farm activities and work as duties/time
- Specific knowledge and experience working with foster youth or similar population;
- 3-5 years’ experience in workforce development, educational certification programs for youth and/or adults, social work, or a related field. Education may be substituted for years of experience.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively;
- Knowledge of and practice in behavior management, and trauma informed work;
- Must be fingerprinted with background check to work with apprentices;
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, or other continued education in a related field
Local candidates are invited to submit a resume to Hannah@nulljmlt.org
JMLT’s Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
John Muir Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of every race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), age, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, military status, marital status, registered domestic partner status, medical condition, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), genetic information, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and any other basis as upheld by federal, state or local law.