Annual Giving Manager
John Muir Land Trust protects and cares for open space, ranches, farms, parkland and shoreline in the East Bay. In three decades, John Muir Land Trust has risen from its humble roots to become one of the leading forces for conservation in northern California. With 3,500 acres now protected, many of the most beautiful places in the East Bay are permanently preserved for passive recreation, wildlife habitat, protection of clean drinking water, and scenic views.
The Annual Giving Manager plays a critical role in increasing donor support, attracting new donors, and stewarding their gifts. Responsibilities include a blend of out-ward facing donor event planning and engagement and in-ward facing direct mail and donor communications coordination amongst the team. The position additionally supports donor stewardship activities and builds relationship and familiarity with our community of supporters.
We are seeking someone to join our team that is skillful in building and managing relationship with a wide range of individuals including donors, prospects, vendors, partners, and colleagues. The new team member should be charismatic, creative, outgoing, collaborative, organized, goal oriented, and flexible. Interest in land conservation and environmental issues is important.
The position will work remotely until we are able to resume in-person work hours at our Martinez office. Options for remote work after we resume in-person office hours are available.
Direct Mail & Donor Communications – 40%
- With Director of Development and communications team, help establish revenue goals, develop activities, and coordinate direct mail and donor communications programming to grow JMLT’s individual donor support
- Develop and manage an annual mail production schedule of all mass fundraising and communication efforts including direct mail, newsletters, invitations, eAppeals, and eNews with staff and consultants
- Lead team in moving direct mail and donor communications forward including scheduling and running weekly project management meetings
- Create mail briefs for each mail job to graphic designer, seeking content, input, and overall objectives and strategy on copy, mail segment(s), and art from development and communications team
- Support budgeting process and manage direct mail and communications program to budget
- Develop and implement strategies to increase monthly giving and workplace giving donors
- Analyze and report on outcomes of program on a regular basis
- Write acknowledgement and welcome letters for all campaigns and refresh content annually
- Keep an eye out for major gift prospects and communicate information to Director of Development and other major gifts staff
Donor Events – 30%
- Plan and execute a variety of donor events, outings, fundraisers, and virtual meetings for the Leadership Circle, John Muir Legacy Society, Corporate Council, and land acquisition campaign cultivation and stewardship events
- Work with the team to develop and manage a calendar of donor events each year while keeping staff on track for supporting the production of each event
- Working with the development and communications team, strategize and help execute collateral materials for events, both hard-copy and electronic
- Work with outside vendors, technology resource for virtual events, and others in the production of events
- Source talent for events such as speakers, moderators, and others to enhance offerings
- Seek and record feedback from donors about their experience of events and make recommendations for improvements
- Recruit and manage volunteers for events
- Occasional weekend and evening hours required
Stewardship – 15%
- Thank donors personally who make gifts below $999 through calls, notes, and electronic communications and tracks stewardship moves in Salesforce
- Coordinate and implement donor plaques, benches, and other recognition pieces out on JMLT lands
- Support the production of our donor list for the annual report
- Lead the production of Campaign completion reports and mailings to donors and other stewardship mailings
- Respond to donor inquiries and requests as needed
Administrative Support – 15%
- Assist Database Director with gift processing during heavy gift entry seasons
- Support documentation of development processes and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- A passion for conservation and/or environmental work; knowledge of land conservation or related areas helpful
- 5-7 years working in a small to medium size organization, preferably in development or communications
- Donor event planning experience including aptitude and/or experience producing virtual events
- Keen sense of judgement when it comes to working with donors and sensitive information
- Proactivity in all areas of work, especially project management and communication with colleagues
- Creative about workflow efficiencies for event production and internal processes and communications
- Ability to work well in a team environment, and to partner effectively with staff members throughout the organization
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, and organize multiple projects
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong computer skills – MS Office, donor databases (knowledge of Salesforce preferred)
- Ability to hike and walk on trails while working
- Ability to work some evening and weekends
JMLT’s EOE Statement
John Muir Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer and does not consider an individual’s race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), age, religion, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, military status, marital status, registered domestic partner status, medical condition, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), genetic information, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
To apply, please send a one-page cover letter and your resume to Dawn Block at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.